Sunday, April 15, 2012

Silver Beach Students Share Reflections on Mountain School



After returning home from their explorations in the North Cascades, students from Silver Beach Elementary in Bellingham had these thoughts about their time at Mountain School...

Wow! I can't believe that we already went to Mountain School! Time goes by so fast! There are so many things that you can learn there. One of the things that I thought was really interesting was what abiotic and biotic meant. Abiotic is something that isn't alive, never will be alive, or never has been alive. On the other hand, biotic means something that is alive, was alive, or will live. Something else that I thought was interesting was what omnivore meant. It was so familiar to hear the word, but I never knew what it was! Something that is an omnivore is something that eats meats and plants. For example, humans are omnivores. The last thing I learned that was interesting tome was the three types of rocks. There are igneous, metamorphic, and sedimentary rocks. I can't believe I learned this much! Mountain School was one of the best and most fun experiences I have ever gotten to try!
 - Anahita Gharai

Mountain School is so much more than a school atop that snowy mountain. As I said in the closing circle, I wish that all 5th graders could experience Mountain School. At Mountain School you can learn so much about the North Cascades. Even though it might be hard for some kids to leave home for long, it still is one of the best parts of 5th grade! The meals at Mountain School are local and delicious! The cabins are cozy and clean! Also you can hear, see, and learn about animals. Again, I wish all 5th graders could experience Mountain School!
- Bailey Bosteter


Students enjoy freshly fallen snow at the end of March. Photo by Jessica Newley.



Snow. Snow. Snow. I love snow! The snow at Mountain School was amazing. When we got there it was cold but bone dry. We had a lot of fun but, I think day two was the best. We all woke up to a foot of snow! That day my trail group went up to Sourdough Mountain. The whole time it was snowing. Oh, and the scenery (my favorite part)! The were trees covered in snow like a cold Christmas tree. What a sight with the white snow everywhere you look. You could barely tell its March. We also got to make animal tracks. I had a black bear. Eric and I made a fake hunt scene. It was so fun.
- Keenan Rice

Have you ever gotten to hike by yourself in the woods? Well, at Mountain School I did. While hiking, you find clues in the snow to what to do or how to get to your destination. You might have to hug a tree, sniff the dirt, or close your eyes and listen! The feeling of being by yourself in the woods, makes you feel connected to nature. Listening to the birds call, the snow falling, or the water rushing made me feel relaxed. All in all, having it just be you and nature is a great feeling.
- Whitney Sloan (on her experience with the Silent Hike)

The crackling fire. People singing. Smiles on every face. This is what I saw and heard at one of my favorite Mountain School memories. We sat around the campfire and sang the banana song and the pizza song. Then the chaperones and the teachers started doing funny skits. After that one of the Mountain School teachers told us a legend about a little hummingbird. Finally, we sang a traditional Mountain School song called, "My Roots God Down." It was very fun. If I could, I would relive that moment a million times.
- Tessa Belscher

At Mountain School my favorite memory was walking across the dam. Our teacher told us that the water turned green because of glaciers grinding down rocks. While we were on teh side with water we saw a water tornado because of the gate that lets water in to make electricity was closed. Also, our teacher told us about why they let water out of the dam. She said it was for when the lake got too full. Another thing I liked was the silent hike. t was the snowiest part of all the trails we were on. We got to play in the snow instead of write in our journals too. Those were the best parts of Mountain School. I had so much fun. I wish i could go again.
- Drew Grimstead 


Thank you for sharing your memories and experiences, we loved having you here Silver Beach!!


Leading photo of graduate student Erin Soper with her Silver Beach students on the first day of Mountain School. Photo by Jessica Newley. 

No comments:

Post a Comment