Thursday, June 7, 2012

Reflections from Open Window School


Open Window, who joined us in the North Cascades from April 30th through May 4th for a week of carnivore explorations, has taken some time to reflect and write about their experiences. Here's what they had to say!



What was one of your favorite experiences at NCI?

One of my favorite experiences was the Meet a Tree challenge. It was my favorite because it meant that we had to use our other senses to find the tree that our partner led us too. - Ian A.
 One of my favorite experiences from NCI was going to the dam, because of the ‘Dam Rules’ and the great, amazing sites. The walk was also really fun- we had to dance across a bridge! It was really cool, to learn about one of the legends in the area. Also it helped me learn about hydroelectricity, which I am really interested in. It was my first time seeing a dam, EVER!  - Kaley T.

I really enjoyed canoeing around the NCI campus and looking at the different islands and mountains. Although it was tiring I really enjoyed the view of the mountains and small animals. We docked at a cove and on it we saw a bald eagle circling around the water, possibly looking for food and a deer with a big white spot around its nose and its tail.  - Michael Y.

My favorite part of NCI was hiking up Diablo East trail since, we saw many beautiful flowers, views, and the terrain was challenging but not impossible.  While we were hiking, we identified the Calypso Flower/Fairy Slipper, and Bleeding Heart.  We also walked on rocks, felt the cool breeze, and felt the chilly water from the streams.  - Justin B.


What did you find most awe-inspiring?

I think that the two breeding Peregrine Falcons were amazing because Colby and Kiira said that last year those two falcons were un-successful breeders. That means that they might be successful this year.  - Emerson
I loved seeing the new animals; that was incredible to me.  I saw a Black Bear, Peregrine Falcons, and a Shrew-Mole (which my field instructor said was the coolest animal he’d ever found with a field group).  I loved learning about these animals and I never imagined I’d find such fascinating creatures on my trip.  It was truly awe-inspiring.  - Ellie

What is something you learned at Mountain School?

I learned how to use a spherical densitometer. You take a reading at each direction (north, south, east, west) and then add up the number of squares that have more than 50% of it covered. You multiply that number by 1.04, and voila. You have your percent of canopy cover. - Emma W.

I’m proud that I learned how to identify Pine, Hemlock, and Fir trees! When I was younger, I could never understand the differences. Now I know!  - Julia A.

I really enjoyed when we had our day of analyzing our data that we collected. We got to calculate the averages for our results for our two sites in canopy cover, CWD, and DBH of trees. The process of collecting our data and deciding our methods and tools was really interesting as well. I liked making the transects and studying the different organisms within that space.  - Mina K.



What impact will this trip have on you?

I think that it made me smarter about animals and plants. It also made sure that I was very organized because if I didn’t bring my BRNJWPLS then I would either be really cold or have no data.  - Jameson P.

I think it will teach me how to respect nature and how to identify different plants and animals. And also I think from now on I will be more curious about nature, and try to preserve and observe it. I would definitely go back to NCI. It was great!!!!  - Charlotte S.


Leading photo of graduate student Elise Ehrheart with her group from Open Window. Photo by Jessica Newley.  

No comments:

Post a Comment